Frequently Asked Questions
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- What is No Name-Calling Week?
No Name-Calling Week is an annual week of educational activities aimed at ending name-calling of all kinds and providing schools with the tools and inspiration to launch an on-going dialogue about ways to eliminate bullying in their communities.
- Who should participate?
Anyone who wants to work towards eliminating harmful name-calling, harassment and bullying in their school can be a part of No Name-Calling Week, whether you are a teacher, student, guidance counselor, coach, librarian or bus driver. The curricular materials on this web site and in the Resource Kit are primarily aimed at middle school students, specifically grades 5 – 8, but may be modified for older or younger students. Feel free to download materials off this web site, or order the Resource Kit and create your own No Name-Calling Week initiative in your community.
- What is in the Resource Kit?
Educators will find the Resource Kit to be a valuable tool in creating a positive school environment where everyone will feel safe and free to learn. The Resource Kit, aimed at grades 5 – 8, contains all of the resources needed to implement a No Name-Calling Week in local schools, including:
- A 27-minute VHS educational video, No Name-Calling: Creating Safe Environments, produced by Human Relations Media
- A comprehensive resource guide with program information, 11 lesson plans, resource lists, suggested strategies for eliminating name-calling, and other curricular material
- A copy of The Misfits, a novel by James Howe
- Two No Name-Calling Week posters
- Two packs of No Name-Calling Week stickers (60 total)
- How do I order a kit, how much is it, and how long will it take to get it?
You can order your kit by clicking here and filling out the order form. The resource kit is $129.95, and will arrive at your door within 3 - 7 business days from the time you place your order. Expedited shipping service is available upon request.
- How does what’s in the kit differ from what’s available on your web site?
The web site offers a sprinkling of tools available in the Resource Kit to promote No Name-Calling Week, including “Planning a No-Name Calling Week in your school”, a bullying survey, three lesson plans (of eleven), and downloadable artwork for stickers. You can certainly plan a No Name-Calling Week activity in your school by accessing these materials.
However, by ordering a full Resource Kit, you will have comprehensive information for creating a well-rounded program. All eleven lesson plans, plus supporting materials including the riveting 27-minute video, posters, stickers, classroom collateral, and The Misfits novel will provide you with very worthwhile tools. In addition, you will have the opportunity to participate in a feedback survey, which will help shape future No Name-Calling Weeks to come.
Whichever you decide to do, be sure to share your stories about your school's No Name-Calling Week with us by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org and joining our No Name-Calling Week Network.
- Can I buy elements of the kit separately?
Yes, you can buy the 27-minute VHS educational video, No Name-Calling: Creating Safe Environments. The cost of the video is $99.95, and it comes with a short resource guide. It is also available in DVD format for the same price.
- What are some things I can do to promote No Name-Calling Week in my school right now?
Click here to plan your No Name-Calling Week.
|No Name-Calling Week is endorsed by, among others:|
National Association of Elementary School Principals
National Education Association
American School Counselor Association
Girl Scouts of the USA
National School Boards Association
Children's Defense Fund
To see the full list, visit our Partners page